Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Savage - by David Almond

The Savage by David Almond, illustrated by Dave McKean.

As I began this book, I was completely drawn in. I love the short length of it, but the depth that is within the short length. The graphic novel intermingled with novella format...very different.
I was intrigued as I read, not really catching on completely to the main character Blue's wild imagination and grief that was being portrayed.
The ending was heart wrenching as Blue heard his father's voice speaking to him..."Blue. Stay happy son. I 'm with you always." This still affects me as I write it as I respond as if it were my own father sending this message to me.
Reviews of this book talk about the stages of grief being portrayed so well by David Almond. Would young people find this book as moving as I have? Would love to write about the illustrations by Dave McKean, but I feel I don't have enough experience with graphic novels. They definitely fit the text and the title -- the eerie, unknown nature of grief is portrayed well.
Next up for me to read is another book illustrated by Dave McKean called, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Another "dark" and mysterious book but highly recommended for the illustrations.

No comments: