Monday, June 29, 2009

Be Boy Buzz by bell hooks

Written by bell hooks and illustrated by Chris Raschka. Love the energy in this book. It is a good reflection on boys and all their moods and activity. Of course, Chris Raschka's typical lively illustrations add to the energy and portray the main character boy in lines done in chalk or crayon (hard to tell which) and solid brown watercolor forms of circles depicting heads and enlongated ovals that form arms and legs.
Few words, but words chosen carefully and in large text, mimicking the "largeness" of being a boy with many personalities and moods. "All Be Boy Buzz."

The day after I read this book to my 6 year old boy, he called me "Be Woman" out of the blue... I didn't know what he meant. Then he said, "Remember the book momma? Be Boy Buzz. You are Be Woman!" I love it! You never know how a book will influence a reader.

No comments: