Thursday, December 11, 2008

Favorite Books?

The CCBC (Children's Cooperative Book Center - at the University of Wisconsin Madison) listserv is asking members to share their favorites of 2008 during the month of December, as they do every year at this time. I truly feel at a disadvantage - many of the people of this listserv are librarians who have "free" access to new books and can read them as soon as they are out. Me on the other hand, get books often after they come into paperback or get books a year or more after they first come out. I'm ok with that. As a matter of fact, that is the way I like to read - I read by interest, not by reading what just is published (although, if it's highly touted, I may buy it in hardcover and rush out to purchase it).

For example, I just finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret - the 2008 Caldecott (but published in 2007 - so it is not of this year). I will write another post about this book - it was quite a surprise for me.

Hence, much of what I read is published past the current year - even long past the current year. This is fine by me. However, when it comes time to reflect on the year of books through the CCBC listserv, I feel a bit left out. But the good thing is, my running list of books I want to purchase and read when they come out in paperback now grows - as I see what other experts recommend as the best of the year.

No comments: