Thursday, December 4, 2008

Beginning the Musings

Time to begin a blog devoted to what I read, typically a lot of children's and young adult literature. My writing partner and friend Kathy are waiting to hear if an "esteemed" publisher of books for teachers wants to publish our children's literature book - our second book together. While we wait, and continue to do some writing for it, I thought starting a blog to reflect on my reading would be a good diversion.

So what I am reading now? I just finished Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - the latest rage for mostly female teenagers (and many adults). A colleague who doesn't read a lot raved about it (her teenaged daughters cooerced her to read it) and convinced me to buy it, even though I had picked it up numerous times over the last year at bookstores and then put it down - turned off by the vampire theme - not something I thought I had an interest in. But I read all 544 pages of it in one weekend, not something I do too frequently anymore, what with a 3 year old and 5 year old in my life. Not the best writing in my opinion, but I was interested in it and even am highly motivated to see the movie that was released two weeks ago.

Adult book I just finished last night - The Sharper the Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn. One of my reading passions - reading about food and cooking. I loved the look into what it takes to be in culinary school. Not a dream of mine, but something that fascinates me.

Two books on the docket, waiting on my nightstand:

1. Jia: A Novel of North Korea by Hyejin Kim

This book is for the January book club meeting of my Korean Reading Book Club - a book club I started with other women who are adoptive parents of Korean children. We read a book each month on topics related to adoption, Korean adoption, international adoption, Korea, Korean history, memoirs of Koreans and adopted Koreans. We've been together for 5 years now and surprisingly have no shortage of books to choose from!

2. Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?: A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity by Beverly Daniel Tatum

This is a book that is also "due" in January as my class of teachers I teach on Wednesday evenings have decided to read this book that is said to be applicable to many of their teaching situations and classrooms.

I have a few other children's books lined up, ones that I will read that are not required. Sometimes having "required reading" can be a chore, even when they are books that I enjoy or that I am reading for a good purpose -- that is when I sneak in a few that are "fun books."

No comments: